You can watch the full event here:
The Consortium for Development Policy Research (CDPR) in partnership with International Growth Center (IGC) and Sustainable Energy and Economic Development (SEED) is organising a set of two webinar sessions to discuss ways of maximising provincial fiscal space by focusing on two specific taxes: sales tax on services and the urban property tax.
The webinar brings together senior policymakers, academics and practitioners to highlight international best practices, cross-country learnings and domestic experiences in Pakistan's provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab towards seeking a better understanding of sales tax on services, addressing the implementation challenges, and ensuring that tax policy is supporting the growth agenda in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Speakers explore the following questions:
- What is the role of provincial taxes in the overall growth agenda for provinces and how does the recent budget reflect government's priorities regarding improving the performance of the sales tax on services and reforms needed in this area?
- What is the structure and design of sales tax on service, its key weaknesses and potential interventions needed in design and governance to improve outcomes?
- What have been the developing-country experiences with sales tax on services, drawing upon international best practices and solutions for its correct implementation?
- What has Punjab’s experience been with implementing the sales tax on services and setting up the Punjab Revenue Authority with a focus on key lessons for future reforms?
- How are development partners supporting tax reform in Pakistan? How does DFID view the role of provincial taxes within DFID’s overall growth framework and it’s agenda in Pakistan and what are some of the ways that development partners and governments can come together to take reforms forward?
When: 18:00 to 19:45 (PST) Thursday, 9 July