The 2023 call for proposals is now closed and we are no longer accepting applications.
- Review the IGC research priorities page to see if your proposed topic fits with the IGC research agenda. These include the IGC Research strategy, which lays out the core research questions and priorities within our four themes. For a review of the literature on those themes and associated gaps, we also include evidence papers for each of our four themes: state, firms, energy, and cities. Updated versions of our evidence papers are forthcoming. Proposals will be graded on their degree of alignment with IGC research priorities. We also strongly encourage you to review the country research priorities for the country you wish to conduct research in.
- Read the guidelines for applicants to help you complete your application. This guide contains useful information covering budgets and remuneration, project deliverables, and grant management. We also include resources for applicants, which provides guidance on how to prepare your proposal and ensure it meets a high standard of quality. This includes a series of short videos on how to prepare a competitive grant proposal, as well as examples of successful proposals with commentary on their research design.
- Get in touch with the relevant IGC country team and share your research idea with them. They will review it and provide feedback. This is a requirement for small grant applicants, but we strongly encourage all applicants to do this. The likelihood of a proposal being funded is higher if it is discussed with our country teams prior to submission.
- Fill in the relevant IGC proposal form for small research grants or full research grants. Applications without budgetary information will not be considered for funding. Make sure you save your work as you progress on your application. Please note applications submitted using the old IGC proposal form and budget template will not be accepted.
- After submitting your online application form, you will receive a short questionnaire from us that allows us to get to know you a little bit better. Please ensure you fill this out as well. It will not take more than 2 minutes of your time.
More information on IGC research clusters and gaps