Interoperability of mobile money: International experience and recommendations for Mozambique
- Interoperability – the ability for mobile money operators to interconnect to each other and to the banking system – is expected to offer benefits to consumers and the market.
- The introduction of interoperability between mobile money operators has been varied across developing countries.
- In Mozambique, there is no interoperability between mobile money providers, but partial interoperability between the latter and commercial banks is emerging.
- This brief presents several recommendations for the Bank of Mozambique to encourage mobile money uptake and introduce clearer rules and regulations in the market.
- It concludes that mandating interoperability in Mozambique at this stage is risky