Research in progress.
Project last updated on: 2 Feb 2016.
Barriers and drivers of adoption of innovative energy solutions in Pakistan
The purpose of this study is to help a team of international researchers (lead by Dr. Jacopo Bonan undertake research in Energy in Pakistan, by visiting Pakistan and preparing a competitive research proposal. The proposed research aims to evaluate the impact of innovative efforts to improve access to, conservation of and efficiency in the use of energy among individuals with poorly met energy needs in rural off-grid areas of Pakistan. The team is collaborating with a private entity (Eco Energy Finance) engaged in the provision of locally appropriate potential solutions and innovations.
The research methodology of the proposed study is based on the use of a Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT), to be carried out in collaboration with local research and implementation partners, to produce data for evidence-based policy interventions in the energy sector. The team would test hypothesis such as the impact of access to renewable energy on business activities and profits, by exploiting the roll-out of our partner’s business activities. The researchers would also try to assess the factors encouraging timely payments for the technology, by exploiting the particular features of the business model and the marketing strategy of our partner.
The research proposes to investigate one or more of the following topics:
1) Barriers and drivers to adoption of modern and clean energy solutions (PV solar systems) by households and small businesses;
2) Locally appropriate adaptation strategies to enhance access and sustainability of these solutions, for instance by improving payment of energy solutions
3) Cost-effectiveness of different strategies, in the realm of product design, financing scheme and marketing with consequent advice for scaling-up effective interventions
4) Impact of the solutions adopted on business outcomes, household welfare, productivity and human capital accumulation.
5) Spill over effects (at community level) of access to modern energy services
The objectives of the scoping visit is to a) finalize the research question and research method b) deepen the understanding of partner’s (private and non-profit entities) activities and the context of intervention c) define research design, tentative timelines and protocols and d) discuss roles and responsibilities with research collaborators. A final report would be produced at the end of the visit while a presentation of the narrowed scope of work would also be presented to the IGC leadership.