Koche and Alemu Policy brief February 2023
PDF document • 398.84 KB
- The mining sector in Ethiopia remains underdeveloped, constituting less than 1% of the GDP. Artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) is a significant source of employment for over 1.2 million people, primarily in rural communities and among urban youth.
- However, the sector faces challenges such as lack of proper documentation, legal protection, and government support.
- We conducted a baseline study in collaboration with the Ministry of Mines focused on artisanal and small-scale gold miners in intervention and control woredas to understand the challenges and opportunities for the ASM sector in Ethiopia.
- The study finds that most gold miners are individual miners (64%), with limited education and significant migration. Technological challenges persist, with only 33% using modern mining technologies.
- Economic issues include limited access to finance and information on market prices, and institutional gaps lead to inconsistencies in regulations, lack of documentation, and low coordination among government bodies.
- This policy brief includes policy recommendations in the areas of production and technology, markets, legal and institutional matters, and social and environmental issues.